Senior Software Engineer, Backend
Portland, OR, USA
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2023
Build with certainty, operate with confidence. That’s why thousands of construction, oil and gas, and renewable energy companies use DroneDeploy on a daily basis. We help them automate reality capture using drones, robots, and 360 cameras – combining this data in one platform for AI-powered analysis. From aerial and ground views of construction progress to automated gauge readings and methane leak detection, DroneDeploy is shaping the future of reality capture.
At DroneDeploy, we thrive in a remote-first culture, powered by innovation. Growth is limitless, and employee contributions matter. With accolades as a Best Place to Work in the SF Bay Area and a spot on America’s Best Startups list, our team is dynamic, purpose-driven, and dedicated to delivering top-tier reality capture software. We cultivate an environment of opportunity. Our dynamic growth is fueled by the diverse range of ideas nurtured by our team. This is why our commitment to internal advancement is profound. A multitude of paths for professional and personal development are available, where flexible schedules, family-friendly benefits, and remote work options propel our team's journey.
DroneDeploy’s Earthworks team are looking for an experienced Back End Engineer to join the team. The Earthworks team works on the core platform for DroneDeploy as well as developing aerial intelligence features with a strong focus on GIS applications and high accuracy mapping. We’re small, dynamic, fast-moving, and developing on the cutting edge of drone technology and image processing. You will be focused on delivering complete features &tackling engineering problems in the Earthworks domain. As an early stage contributor, you'll have the opportunity to take ownership of the feature development life cycle, from conception to deployment. We value initiative and taking ownership of problems.
- Work deeply with GIS concepts including raster data processing, coordinate systems, and GNSS data.
- Build performant, scalable services with REST and GraphQL APIs
- Build monitoring and analysis tools for high-utilization deployments
- Debug issues with complex interactions across multiple services.
- Work with SQL and NoSQL databases
- Design and implement APIs, and transform requirements into clear business logic
- Be a highly productive engineer that can write, ship, document, and maintain code.
- Be a primary owner of code quality and best practices for the codebase.
- Bring innovative and new ideas to improve our products & processes.
- Collaborate with Product teams and Tech leads to drive product development
- 4+ years of recent backend or full stack experience and comfort with working on back end services.
- Deep understanding of modern web applications design architecture, good API design patterns, performance and scale.
- Proficient in Python
- Experience working on SQL and NoSQL databases
- Experience designing and integrating REST or GraphQL APIs.
- Experience with GIS software such as Esri ArcGIS, QGIS, GDAL, Rasterio, PROJ, PDAL, PostGIS, etc.
- A healthy balance between loving to ship code fast and keeping up best practices for our code repositories.
- Experience with building SaaS products is a plus
- Experience with modern JS frameworks is a plus
- Experience in Aviation or Drone/UAS space a plus
- Available to work between the hours of 10am - 3pm PST, Monday - Friday to overlap with core team hours.
- Available to travel domestically for company events, team on-sites, training.
Our Technology Stack: Angular, Python, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, GraphQL
Employee Offerings & Benefits include:
(may vary by location)
Innovative company culture
Drone pilot certification
Flexible work schedules
Flexible work location
Family paid leave
Paid healthcare for employees
Professional development & career advancements
Wellbeing activities (live & on-demand)
Flexible paid time off
Employee referral bonus
DroneDeploy is an equal opportunity employer.
All DroneDeploy employees are responsible for assisting in protecting the company and customer data by following information security policies and procedures.
Please refer to our Recruitment Privacy Notice for information about privacy during the recruiting process.