Portfolio Finance Manager
About Energize Capital
Energize Capital is a leading climate software investor focused on scaling sustainable innovation. Founded in 2016 and based in Chicago, to date Energize has funded 26 companies and deployed more than $500 million through its venture capital and growth equity strategies. The firm manages more than $1.2 billion in assets and is backed by institutional, strategic and impact LPs including Invenergy, CDPQ, Credit Suisse, GE Vernova, Xcel Energy, Caterpillar, HASI and more.
Become a part of the Energize Capital team to deliver excellent returns and contribute to the firm’s reputation as the premier climate software investor. We are a small team with an entrepreneurial spirit, and this role requires flexibility, a diverse skill set, and an ability to perform at a high level on multiple fronts. We are seeking a Portfolio Finance Manager to join our Finance and Operations team, a key pillar of Energize’s “EDGE” portfolio services group. The Finance and Operations team is responsible for ensuring reliable and accurate reporting on portfolio companies' financial and operational health, and provides hands-on finance and operations support to portfolio leaders to drive business value.
The Finance Manager will report to the Head of Finance Operations, who has more than 25 years experience working with executive management teams at venture-backed startups. This individual will be responsible for establishing systems and processes to facilitate standardized financial reporting from portfolio companies, and will partner with senior portfolio leaders to drive execution for finance / operations projects. In this role you will have broad exposure cutting-edge climate software companies, how these businesses operate and what makes them successful. We seek a highly qualified and resourceful individual, passionate about taking on new challenges and always looking for ways to innovate through better, more efficient ways to deliver impactful results.
This is a full-time position located in Chicago.
- Help build out a scalable portfolio finance function with the ability to gain deep experience within our verticals.
- Standardize data reporting from portfolio companies, ensuring complete data accuracy and drive continuous improvement to data reliability. This includes identifying and implementing software solutions to support the portfolio reporting process, where needed.
- Work closely with portfolio companies to establish regular reporting and, in some cases, help them prepare the data.
- Be a financial business partner to leaders at Energize Capital by collaborating and empowering them with insights about the portfolio companies.
- Assist in the development of business intelligence and portfolio management tools, and system and process improvements.
- Build and standardize processes to track business performance and automate reporting to place more data directly in the hands of business users.
- Support Energize’s internal finance team with the quarterly LP reporting process for specified funds, as needed.
- Support strategic ad-hoc analysis and finance and operations initiatives, internally within Energize and with our portfolio companies.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance and Accounting, Business, or Economics; MBA preferred
- Ideally, 3-5 years of progressive experience in internal FP&A (preferably at a venture-backed tech startup) or Big 4 (SaaS company experience)
- Proven experience with building and implementing finance initiatives from the ground up
- Must possess analytical skills with the ability to analyze raw data for accuracy
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work cross-functionally across various groups
- Excellent communication skills with a track record of presenting complex analysis
- Strong organizational skills with proficiency in managing and prioritizing a variety of tasks
- Professional communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to work well with others internally and externally
- A current resident of or willing to relocate to Chicago for the position.
Energize Capital is proud to offer employees a wide range of benefits to support personal well-being, growth, and professional development. Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, and HSA from day one of employment
- 401k matching
- Generous paid time off in addition to 10 company holidays and a flexible winter holiday
- Market-leading parental leave policy and family planning benefits
- Health club reimbursement
- Continuing education stipend
- Option to work remote Fridays
- Lunch provided on in-office days
Energize Capital embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills.
We look forward to hearing from you!