Director of Accounting - Controller
Voted Best Places to Work in Austin, Best Paying Companies,
and Top Startup Companies by Forbes
SparkCognition looks to bring in the best talent in the world. To accommodate the hiring of our wildly talented teams, SparkCognition sponsors visa opportunities when appropriate.
Who are we and why this opportunity?
Drive change and create a footprint. SparkCognition invests in our employees and fosters collaboration throughout the organization. Our employees have the ability to work
globally with award-winning artificial intelligence (AI) technology within multiple industries.
What are the benefits and perks at SparkCognition?
Our full-time employees and their loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package.
Below are some highlights we offer to our full-time employees - we’d love to connect and share more!
- Fast-paced evolving culture with the opportunity to drive new ideas and technology.
- Hybrid Work Environment - 4 days per week in office
- Stock Option Grants
- Generous Time Off Programs
- Medical Coverage, and Parental Leave Plans
- 401k with Employer Match
- Monthly Technology Allowance
- Large 2022 renovated office space centrally located near the Arboretum in Austin, TX- including fully stocked beverage and snack areas!
*Contract and temporary roles are not eligible for the above benefits.
We are seeking a Director of Accounting - Controller to join our rapidly expanding team of seasoned finance professionals. The Director of Accounting, Controller will report to the Chief Accounting Officer and play an important role in managing and developing our world-class accounting team as our company grows. This role presents an incredible learning opportunity and will include exposure to a variety of accounting processes and business process optimization in a global, fast-paced, and growing environment.
The Director of Accounting, Controller will have a high level of visibility and interaction with the executive team. This role will lead all aspects of financial management, including corporate accounting, regulatory and financial reporting, management of the external audit, tax filings and tax planning, as well as the development and administration of internal control procedures. Candidates must possess the ability to create, develop and coach high performing teams and act as a strong collaborative partner across SparkCognition.
If you were working for us today, your responsibilities would include:
- Lead the accounting team in oversight and development of company-wide accounting policies and controls consistent with GAAP
- Establish processes and controls in preparation for Sarbanes-Oxley compliance
- Hire, develop, and train a strong accounting team that can scale with company growth.
- Develop processes as well as systems and tools to ensure accurate and timely financial reporting
- Manage the essential corporate accounting functions including international accounting, internal controls, Joint Venture consolidations, internal and external reporting, technical accounting, client billing/credit/collections, cash management, vendor payments and payroll.
- Work with CAO and FP&A team to assist with the corporate budgeting and forecasting process
- Act as a trusted partner and advisor to the CFO, CAO and executive team across strategy and day-to-day financial and accounting operations
- ASC 606 revenue recognition, including participation with sales during the contracting process to ensure language is appropriate
- Participate in M&A and Joint Venture Accounting projects, both domestic and International
- Manage other projects as directed by the CAO
You might be a fit for our team if you have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance/Accounting and a CPA is required
- Minimum 10 years of accounting and controls experience, SaaS experience strongly preferred, private and public company experience preferred. Experience in private equity backed company required.
- Experience supporting and leading implementation of financial systems including ERP, cash management, spend management, forecasting, etc.
- Strong knowledge of banking and treasury management best practices
- Strong knowledge of financial activities, policies and processes, including consolidations, Sarbanes-Oxley, and US GAAP compliance
- Basic knowledge of tax matters
- Successful development and leadership of a high performing results-focused accounting team
- Experience interacting with internal and external senior level executives including Audit Committees and Board of Directors
- Passion for fast-paced entrepreneurial work environments
SparkCognition is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to diversity, equality, and inclusion, and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment.
SparkCognition prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
SparkCognition is committed to providing reasonable accommodation throughout the recruiting process. If you need a reasonable accommodation to search for a job opening, apply for a position, or participate in the interview process, connect with us at HR@sparkcognition.com and describe the specific accommodation request.
Reasonable accommodations are modifications or adjustments to the application or hiring process that would enable you to fully participate in that process. Examples of reasonable accommodations include but are not limited to:
- Documents in alternate formats or read aloud to you
- Having interviews in an accessible location
- Being accompanied by a service dog
- Having a sign language interpreter present for the interview